Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Superman?

I have this black T-shirt with the Superman "S" on it. I wore it a few weeks ago and my sister Melissa and I went to the grocery store. We walked around and bought all our crap and we were waiting in line. An elderly lady (I may be closing in on mid 30's, but 50ish is still old to me) was in line behind us with only an armful of goods while we had a cart full. I politely invited her to go ahead and step ahead of us. She said thanks and seemed to be a really sweet old lady. She saw the Superman shirt and went on and on about me being Superman. She did it so much that the sweetness fed into my bitterness. I even caught myself thinking "Maybe I shouldn't have let you cut in line." So the cashier jumps on the Superman bandwagon and went on and on. I flashed a couple courtesy smiles and threw out a couple courtesy laughs but just happy to get the hell out of there. So here we are a few weeks later. I had my Superman shirt on once again. I was at the post office. In line ahead of me were three old people. Two grandmas and one grandpa. It's always the old people. I happen to somewhat know the grandmas. One caught eye and so I smiled and said "Hi". And off we go... Superman this and Superman that.... Grandpa was all getting into it too. Then I notice at the counter is another lady I know. With her is her little boy, who also I know. I saw him playing with the little toy thing they have there. Now this is a kid I actually like, there are only a small handful of those. He saw me and ran to his mom which he's done before, usually at his house when I go to visit. "Mom. Mom. Garret.", he would say pointing at me. So he reaches his mom "Mom. Mom. Superman." I was thinking "No, it's not stupid Superman, it's Garret." Ha ha. So as I waited in line she got finished with her business we said our Hellos and the little boy was asking his mom if I really was Superman. So it's cute when little kids I like say it but annoying as hell when the elderly do. So should I suck it up and enjoy it the Superman attention or should I burn the shirt?

3 comments:

Liz Lane said...

I think you're on to something...you should really go all out with it. Next time wear the tights. Then add the red speedo. After awhile, incorporate a cape. Pretty soon, you'll be wearing it everyday. On Sunday's you'll just have to put the church attire on OVER it. Don't worry about the attention, or the friends who begin handing you cards from CBHS. They won't understand. I mean, who is Superman anyway? (Sorry--I've been up all night with kids and am sleep deprived. Can you tell)

jooglin said...

Lets think about this for a minute...humm....Well, do you have any superpowers? Say, flying, x-ray vision or night spying backwards walking powers? If not I say ditch the shirt and hit up one of those t-shirt shops that will make you a shirt out of your header. Then it will be clear who you are and the old people won't bug ya.

Kristina said...

Hey, Superman is the man to all little kids (coming from a mom of 3 boys). Add glasses for their sake and add a message to the back of the shirt for the elderly who can read. Ha, Ha, Ha.